Today, I am sharing an afternoon of my life with my Slice of Life Community.
We went through driving rain and massive puddles to get to the room where it has been happening for more than a decade in the big city. We saw a powerful storyteller's depiction of the characters whose revolutionary ideas contributed to the founding of our experiment in representative democracy. Our feet were wet and the single ladies room for about 800 females resulted in a long and windy line through the entire theater; yet, it was worth the challenges for the masterful songwriting, vibrant storytelling and messages that stand the test of time. Those who tell the story,
Refine the memories, characters,
Choose the lens, lines reminding us
Of the lofty ambitions, strong personalities
The drive of those long-ago immigrants
Like Washington, Hamilton, Jefferson, Burr,
Courageously defying the King,
While not always in agreement with how to
Integrate new ideas into a plan for a new nation,
Still needing reminders about immigrant drive,
Working relentlessly towards goals,
Active participation in determining our future.
Raise a glass to freedom
Something they can never take away
No matter what they tell you
Something they can never take away
No matter what they tell you

3 comments:
Thank you for the reminder of such an incredible story and musical! And it sounds like through the sloppy weather conditions, it was so worth the excursion!
I have not seen a live performance of Hamilton. I hope I can someday. Isn’t it incredible?!
I have never seen Hamilton either, but your post is a nudge to work a little harder to make it happen!
Post a Comment