The easy part was sharing my published writing (a million report card comments, hundreds of CSE evals, lots of blog posts and my dissertation that nobody in their right mind has ever read) I had to write my poem that would be sort of front and center for all to see! Yikes, that was hard. I think I wrote 25/30 this morning. I drank coffee and took potty breaks. I daydreamed and then, I realized that was all the easy part. I needed a picture of me! Who knew that I had only taken a few pictures in the past decade and they were all horrible pictures of me. In my defense, there are some great pictures of me with my nieces who share on social medial. There have been some good pictures with some of my grands, but I cannot fairly publish with just one of my bevy of loved littles. There is even one OK picture of me with some of my grands before they were all earth-side.
I can and do photoshop in Canva, but cutting and pasting images back here is problematic. And so, I am not sharing any of the 100 selfies taken this morning as the rain laughed and cried at me! If anyone has a picture of just me, just my head, not looking awful, not in a bathing suit, let me know before midnight! I will share my poem draft because it really is about memories and glimpsing the future, not about photos.
I started with Joy Harper’s Remember, and drafted a memory-poem to my children about hiking and biking along trails.
I Remember
Your soft head tucked next to my heart
Leaves crunched as I trudged,
Holding tight
As if I knew you would dance in puddles,
Run like a cheetah, ride like the wind,
Revel is snowdrifts, explore crevices
I had never noticed before,
Scale rocky bluffs, peer over cliffs,
Become lost to all but the moon, while I
Held my breath
As if you knew, someday you would
Hold yours on your shoulders
Until they found magical acorns
You had never noticed
Before they ran into the future
As if they were destined
No comments:
Post a Comment