Labels

Monday, March 5, 2012

SOL 5: Aunt Zulu and the Rainbow Family


Put Me in the ZooScholastic Reader Level 2: Rainbow Magic: The Fairies Birthday Surprise: The Fairies' Birthday Surprise

"You tell me the words and I'll read the story," she insisted.
"She's just pretending," her sister whispered, making sure I was not fooled by the ruse. 
"That's a rhyme, like in Dr. Seuss," she commented. 
"It was just his birthday," her sister whispered, making sure I was not fooled into thinking she could rhyme.
"Just three more books and then you can TELL us both a story," she murmured.
They both leaned into my shoulders and cuddled closer for a lively rendition of the classic, Put Me in the Zoo, and Scholastic's attempt at contemporary literature, Birthday Surprise. 

After 6 books (3 chosen each) we settled into bed for story telling about the adventures of the Rainbow Family (Mom, Dad, Charlie, Purp, their friend Indigo, their dog Blue, their cat White and their Aunt Zulu).   If I didn't know better, I might think this family, loosely modeled after one we know but with names inspired by the Rainbow Fairies,  might be real!  I feel like we are beginning to know so much about them: a) they love rainbow ice cream; b) they go for walks and look at colorful flowers; and c) they wear colorful clothes (think indigo jackets)!  When I was asked what this Rainbow Family was giving up for Lent, I even knew the answer!  They were not giving up anything this year.  Instead, they were trying to be the best they could be!  They were working hard, listening to each other and trying not to fight over their iPad!  It's this Auntie's attempt at contemporary bedtime storytelling! 

 

3 comments:

BK said...

Now this is not an experience I've had as a high school teacher but I do love reading about what books mean to young readers and the adults who share them.
Bonnie

Unknown said...

What a fun story. I love the part about not fighting over the Ipad. Thanks for sharing your slice.

Kim said...

The girls are lucky to have you for the snuggles and the books!