Labels

Friday, March 2, 2012

SOL 2 Pieces of Love

A long time ago, when I had very little money and a little more time, I made my first baby quilt.  It was not a huge stretch for someone who had been sewing since she was 14 and who had made her own wedding dress (don't get too excited...it sure was not like the dresses of today)!
That first quilt was a gift I could afford for the first of my peers to have a child. Yet that first project of pieced remnants and turned into something more than I could have imagined.  I spend a lot of time sewing and quilting and I imagined that it might soon wrap a "miracle" on a cold night.  It's most important job, however, was likely its role as that little girl's "lovey."   About a year later, I made an elaborate Blue Bonnet Sue quilt for my sister's first daughter.  My financial situation was a little better and I also threw in a car seat as a baby gift; but I realized there was something special in that quilt that represented the many hopes and prayers I had for that child and her family.  Over many years, I have made many not-quite-so-elaborate quilts for other babies of friends and family.  I have incorporated themes and family hobbies such as fishing and jogging!  I've made quilts with thin "slices" and fat "pieces" of fabric.  I've used remnants and fine Egyptian cotton in the same quilt!  Once, I used tie-died batik fabric for a child who was named after a Grateful Dead song! 
When my daughter (who has many intersecting identifies herself as well as a challenging professional career) called on Sunday night to tell me about her weekend quilting obsession, I smiled because I knew. I too had spent the day making a quilt and I could have just plucked something off the registry.  I am pretty sure I did not tell her - but somehow she figured out that pieces of love are better than anything money could buy.

8 comments:

Juliann in WA said...

What a great lesson to have passed on to your daughter.

Ruth Ayres said...

Your ending packs a punch.

Stacey Shubitz said...

I became obsessed with fat quarters a few years ago. I bought a bunch of Amy Butler fabric on Etsy and used fabric to make the bulletin boards in my classroom. Crazy, right?

I echo what Juliann said. A fantastic lesson to pass on.

Pam Barnhill said...

Ah, but it is always what we show through our actions that they learn the best. Wonderful slice.

MS said...

I love your title! Homemade pieces of love-- always so special.

Kathy Douglas said...

How lucky those little ones are to get such a gift of love!

Mary said...

I love that phrase..."Pieces of love."

jenb. said...

SO true! I spent an hour this evening searching for the perfect "Do It Yourself" craft to make for my best friend's birthday. Buying something just doesn't seem to cut it when I want her to really know just how much she means to me! :) I get it...