Labels

Sunday, March 4, 2012

SOL 4 I KNOW how to get kids to write!

I was pretty sure that adding more tests was not going to work.  I was pretty sure that the new APPR standards and publishing teachers' grades in the New York Post was not the answer. 

I was pretty sure that more tests, harder tests and longer tests were not the answer.  I tried to give more and more models and more and more mini lessons about craft and ideas - it helped some - but it was not enough to motivate the reluctant ones. 

I tired encouragement, scaffolding and even a bit of bribery...sometimes that helps a for a while.......

NOW I KNOW...I really get it....

I set my alarm on a Saturday morning so I would have time to get it all done.  I literally ran down the stairs to write!  On Day 3 of this challenge, the thoughts were coming fast and furiously...I could have written 2 or 3 posts!  I was feeling the same kind of passion for my writing that I did back when I was writing that dissertation! I hit attach and send before heading off to make a cup of tea and checking my emails.....

And when I came back, it was there....on the Internet.....the answer....how to get the reluctant writer to write more.......one of my teacher-blog heroes had responded to MY post!  Who would have thought that would ever happen!  I think I was actually shaking with excitement as I hurriedly opened the browser ....and there were other comments....already?  WOW......

So now I know the answer.  They have to write a lot - maybe every day.  We have to genuinely want to read and respond to their writing.  They have to know we care. We have to provide them with comfortable ways to write.  We have to embrace technology. They have to have feedback that comes right away...and we have to make sure they are not penalized for taking risks with their writing.

If we give them almost immediate feecback through our responses to their writing and if we tell them we really care ...they will feel like they hit the jackpot...SO long notebooks....bring on the iPads and laptops....it's a new world...and we have to see it THEIR way!

14 comments:

elsie said...

Isn't it amazing what a comment will do to inspire more writing? Yep, I think you know what to do. Go for it!

Robin said...

I was just talking to a friend about this very idea! I told her before we hit March that I wanted to get into writing on my blog but I just didn't feel like I knew what to say. She told me I would have ideas and that I had things to say...it just takes time. Then I decided if I participated in the SOLC I would either decide she was right and I'd be hooked OR I would give up on the idea for a while without guilt. Guess what? I'm hooked and it's all because of getting that feedback! I love it! I just told her yesterday...this is what we need to provide for our students! My thoughts have been turned toward ideas on how to do just that. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Deb Day said...

Love it! I had this same kind of revelation last year. This writing community you have joined is amazing. It will keep you motivated, inspired, laughing and crying. I started a pinterest board of posts to use as mentor texts. I was finding so many things to use in my classroom, I had to find a way to keep track of them all.

Unknown said...

I think writing everyday is the key. I'm so grateful that I joined this challenge. Days 1-3 were a bit difficult. However, today I woke up with a story in my heart. I think this challenge will help us become better writing teachers too. Thanks for sharing your slice.

maria.selke said...

This is so true, and I'll probably post about it as one of my topics later!

I keep thinking, "Where are my comments?" When I get one, it's like a big gold star.

Maureen said...

Right on! Students are growing up in an "immediate feedback" world, due to amazing technology. Yes, yes, yes, giving them immediate feedback would nurture the writer inside - it is working for all of us! Thank you for sharing this - truly, insightful!

Julie said...

Wow! Just had an "aha" moment. Responding to their writing regularly - not just three times a year.
Thank you thank you thank you!

Betsy Hubbard said...

You will make them believers and writers!

Jen said...

I am completely choked up! It's all so beautiful and true. How do we create that intrisic value to write. Like Valerie said, to get them and us to wake up with a story in their heart. Building that community - feedback, reading eachothers writing. I know I'm becoming a better writer and I'm learning so much about writing poetry from all you masters at it. Also, it's a safe place - I love that!

Jen said...

I had to say one more thing. Reflecting on your piece, you had such a sense of urgency, I could feel it, like a little kid Christmas morning who is so excited you can't decide which present to open first! Very cute!

Jama said...

Wow! Of course! I had already figured out that sharing was important, and that comments are crucial, but I had not thought of the technology link! Thanks for that insight!

iteachatec said...

I agree wholeheartedly with your list. One thought I would add would be allowing our young writers some freedom of choice.

drferreriblogspot.com said...

Thank you all for commenting and fueling my resolve and mission to rethink what we do as teachers. Jen, I am amazed you could see the urgency I felt to post my thoughts! After MANY years of teaching.....and lots of years ot learning to be the best teacher I can be....I am still learning!

Katie said...

The authentic audience, the feedback, the celebrations, the community. You are right, these are the things that motivate us to write. Thank you for sharing this post.