Labels

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

SOL 14 Go Play Outside

On our way home, on a beautiful sunny afternoon, we saw a young child on a tiny motorbike.  He / she was SO young he / she needed training wheels on that motor bike! OH MY! 


  
This is a google image - I did not stop to photograph - yet  the image of that child riding around has stuck with me!  I do realize that motorized bikes, cars and toys have taken over, but I think the cost may be far greater than parents imagine!  These children, some too young to even balance on a bike, are riding around in the sunshine, but they are using very few muscles! 
In light of the obesity epidemic in America and with the every increasing need for PT and OT services for children with low muscle tone, I am pretty sure there a connection! 
Kids need to get outside, run, play and move their bodies to grow strong and be healthy. 

While so much of my own professional focus has been on classroom learning, I know that going outside to play is important for learning to read,write, and develop fine motor skills as well as becoming self-reliant.  Kids need to get outside and play - there will be a time to drive 2 hours a day - trust me on that one!
www.activelivingresearch.org/files/Active_Ed.pdf

8 comments:

Nanc said...

ditto, ditto and Amen

Jama said...

Anita, you are so right. Sometimes it seems that we are becoming the people on "Wally".

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

Nanc said it best...ditto, ditto and Amen.

Janet said...

My assignment board says, "Play outside for at least 30 minutes and write at least one sentence describing what you did." My kids love that assignment. Your piece says something that needs to be said over and over again. Well done.

Maureen said...

I would have freaked out if I had seen that...a little child on a motorized bike? Yikes! I have had my head in the dirt. This I have never seen! Thanks for sharing. You are spot on about being outside...all of us, get out - now! ;-) And do something where your feet touch the ground!

MaryHelen said...

Yes, they do need to be moving around. Exercise helps students to learn better.

Amy Rudd said...

Anita,
I agree with you- we just have to make sure our children find a balance!

Dana said...

I hear so much talk about obesity and kids lacking muscle etc. and then I look at my nieces and nephews and they are the exact opposite. They are all so athletic and in great shape and always on the go. There is hope out there! :)