Labels

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

#sol15 March 4 He Teaches Without Saying a Word

"Oh look what Beary is reading!" she squealed. He must have known it was Dr. Seuss's birthday!"

The group entering the "Reading Room" scurried over to Beary's chair where he sat enjoying Green Eggs and Ham nestled among a "pride" of well-loved and worn Dr. Seuss texts.

They begged to borrow the books, and in moments, all the books were planning on going home with a sometimes reluctant, but at this moment eager reader.  I quickly tucked a copy of Oh The Places You Will Go into Beary's lap assuring my young friends that "this one" was an "adult book."

That's what my "partner" and alter-ego does without saying a word, every day!  He's an avid reader who spends his time either nestled in an old rocking chair or snuggled next to a student who needs a friend.

I purchased Beary on a whim, during a "back to school shopping spree. I did not need him. In fact, space is at a premium with three people sharing a small classroom; yet, it was love at first sight and so I filled my cart with a huge teddy bear. The kids are going to love you," I thought as I got to the car and buckled the seat belt around his soft belly that day.

Little did I know how much!  Beary encourages and listens patiently as 5 year-olds point ever so slowly to the words of predictable texts.  He also waits eagerly for hugs from 8 and 9 year-olds who have had a tough day. He reminds me that we really are most effective when we stop talking (so much) and lead by example.  He may not be "timeless" like Suess; however, Beary and Suess are on the same page when it comes to getting kids to read.  

7 comments:

Dogtrax said...

Love that bear! I used to have this huge, oversized Polar Bear in my sixth grade classroom, and we used him for all sorts of writing activitids. Alas, he had some holes and stuffing came out, and we sent him out to sea (to battle Global Warming).
;)
Kevin

Michelle Haseltine said...

Beary is the BEST!!! I may have to find a Beary of my pwn!! LOVE this!

Donna Smith said...

Love Beary! My class had Solar Bear, an almost kid sized polar beard. We used him as a weather bear in our daily weather podcasts taking pictures of him dressed for that day's weather sporting borrowed sweaters, boots, hats, mittens, etc. from the kids. They adored him. Everyone should have a bear teaching partner!

Bonnie K. said...

Such a great way to create classroom community with fun and play. Wonderful Anita. Love him
Bonnie

Mary said...

How wonderful to have a Beary. Kids need any soft huggable they can find to read to. Go Beary!

Tara said...

Every classroom needs a Beary - the repository of stories and book love and book knowledge. He also looks adorable in that chair!

Glenda Funk said...

I want to adopt Barry and put him in my classroom, and I teach seniors. Fabulous pic. Read on!