Labels

Monday, September 7, 2026

SOL26 Why Fireworks?

I'm sharing with the Slice of Life Community today.  

For many teachers and students, even here in the Northeast, school has already begun; yet, some families near me were clearly celebrating the beginning of this new school year with an impressive array of fireworks as the sun set, much too early, on Labor Day. 

I wonder why they did not go "down the shore" to celebrate the long weekend?
I wonder if they are celebrating kids who are busy/working/learning all day?
I wonder if they are just excited about the shorter days and cooer weather?
I wonder if others are optimistic about the fresh start of a school year?
I wonder if they are just looking ahead to curling up under a blanket with a good book?
I wonder if they were just letting off steam from built up frustration with inflation, wars, and politics?
I wonder about all the money they blew letting off steam!

9 comments:

arjeha said...

Your post had me wondering as well since we heard fireworks going off last night and couldn't imagine why.

Fran McCrackin said...

I wonder if they are labor organizers celebrating Labor Day!
It is good to wonder, your list shows us so many possible interpretations of a single event. I think this is a good mental (and writing) exercise.

Trish said...

Fireworks have lost their luster for me. I just see the smoky results and rue the sound that rips sweet night silence. (Boy, I am getting old!) I wonder what all the commotion is about, too, but maybe I should just be glad that some people feel like celebrating! (If it is for Labor Day as the others have noted, I must've missed the memo.)

Lori Sheroan said...

These fireworks-inspired wonderings have me wondering as well. I'll never forget a fireworks show I attended years ago: a toddler was sitting on her father's shoulders, and every time a firework burst in the sky, she patted his head and said, "Thank you, Daddy!" I wonder if she ever realized he was not responsible for the fireworks. I hope she never figured that out!

drferreriblogspot.com said...

I really do not get the Labor Day connection at all!!!

drferreriblogspot.com said...

I have no idea why so many fireworks this year!

drferreriblogspot.com said...

It was a real slice of my life!

drferreriblogspot.com said...

I suspect it was back yard parties, but I did not go check it out!

Anonymous said...

I’m a Midwesterner and have never seen fireworks around Labor Day. I wonder if someone got a good post-Independence Day discount and just needed an occasion to celebrate?