Labels

Thursday, August 27, 2026

August 27: Not Yet Planned

Sometimes, on the train or in the coffee shop, I catch parts of conversations even when I don't mean to do so.  I think it is most likely to happen when a question is posed or a phrase is uttered that I have also pondered or am still pondering!  Like yesterday, when a young lady nearby uttered, "I used to have my life all planned out." 

With the gift of decades of experiences, I could have jumped into the conversation with gusto, but I stared and my book and let my mind wanders through murky memories and jagged turns in my path. I thought of how life looked pretty complete when I landed that teaching job, until I realized it was hard work. How lucky I was to have children until I realized those sleepless nights would precede teenage stuff.  I thought about the challenge of changing districts and learning all school districts had problems. I thought about losing those who guided my path to devastating illnesses. As life settled into what I thought was a more predictable pattern, an "earthquake" would shake up the family I had built.

I thought about how lucky I have been to have had a family and a career I adored. I am grateful that somewhere along the line I learned to accept those things I cannot change and to change what I can. I wanted to tell those younger ones that I still don't have my life planned out, but I am grateful for today!

1 comment:

Kim Johnson said...

Preach it, sister! We have the best laid plans, and the more we try to control what we were never in control of, the more frustrated we get. It pays to be able to drop the reins and realize that we were never steering that horse to begin with. We can smile and enjoy the ride and be grateful for the scenery we have....and that's the best reminder of all is just how you shared it.