Labels

Monday, March 11, 2019

#sol19 March 11 Blocks

I'm grateful to my friends at Two Writing Teachers for fostering
my thinking and writing through their March Slice of Life Challenge.

When my children were young, we had a set of previously-loved wooden blocks that were used to build strong houses, tall condominiums, long roads, and mighty ramps. Over time we added piles of trendy Construx and Legos, but those old wooden blocks were the first engineering materials.

I thought of those blocks when I saw intricate cities in Kindergarten classes.
I thought of those blocks when a colleague wrote a dissertation about block play.
I thought I had given them away until I found them in the attic when I moved.
I thought about leaving them by the curb, but something made me carry them with me.

I smiled when my son asked if I still had them when his firstborn was a toddler.
I smiled when he cleaned them up for his own son.
I smiled the first time I built another road, another house, another ramp...
I smiled when his second born took my hand and said, "Road, Meme, road...tat you (thank you)."

I wonder how many more lives those blocks will impact...........


5 comments:

Peg B said...

I love your use of repetition. It really makes the reader slow down and read carefully and adds depth to your piece.
And blocks are my absolute favorite.

Ramona said...

I love seeing the toys my children played with littered about our home as their children play with them. My husband was not happy to move them, but now he loves watching the grands play with them. I was asked to build with blocks as part of a preschool job interview (summer job) more than three decades ago. I got the job even though I built a jail in my town!

Trina said...

Ah, blocks. It makes me happy to see kids playing with blocks. My kids still enjoy building with Legos at ages 13 and 10... I still like tinkering with blocks too!

Tracy Vogelgesang said...

In my house, my granddaughters play with my daughter's Barbie dolls. It's so much fun to see those Barbies brought to life by a new generation. Great post. I enjoyed reading it!

Glenda Funk said...

This brings back memories of my own boys building play and the fun I had playing with them. Kids need these hands-on activities.