Labels

Wednesday, March 6, 2019

#sol19 March 6 Grandma

In the days before I became a grandma, people asked me what I was going to be called. My mom and my sister became grandmas in their early 40s, and because they said they were too young to be a grandmas, they were Nanny and Nanna.  I was not going to be a "young" grandma, so those did not seem to fit.

In those days, I could only pray for healthy babies  and for my children, who were bringing children into this world as their own worlds were shattered by loss.

In the days when tiny miracles made me a grandma, I thought only of how I could support those new families.

In the days after life returned to some new semblance of normalcy, I sang "I love you, a bushel and a peck" to those babies and read them Snuggle Puppy.  I relearned swaddling and diapering and delivered  meals.

Then, one day, a little girl said, "Hi, Meme." (2 syllables), perhaps it was because I had referred to myself as Grammy but really only to differentiate from another grandma who hoped Gram would fit.. And so, I became Meme.

Then one day, a little boy greeted  me with, "Hi, Meeme." (1 syllable), and I proudly earned another name.

In the days since I became a grandma, I've grown to understand the privilege of the role and the insignificance of the name(s).  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My mom is Yaya, I've had a mawmaw and a pawpaw and grandpa and a grandpa rider. I call them many names and I'm so thankful I have them around to call them.

Megan said...

This was the sweetest post. In 2017, my parents became grandparents twice, my niece, then my daughter 5 months later. My mom was INSISTENT that the girls call her MiMi, and they finally have, but I wanted them to come to it on their own. I love how naturally your name came to be and how you embrace this role. Your grandchildren are quite lucky to have you. :)