Labels

Thursday, March 28, 2019

#sol19 March 28 La Famiglia

This SOL challenge has me thinking about what I see as potential blog posts (i.e. has me thinking like a writer)! As I drove across town, I noticed a sign for Famous Famiglia (Famous Family) that sent my mind into cascading memories of my Auntie La La (seriously I called her that from age 1 even though I had been able to utter Aunt Mary Etta for many, many decades!)


My Aunt was fluent in multiple languages, a skill that came in handy when she was in the army during WWII. She sometimes uttered a phrase or two in Japanese; however, she readily dispensed Spanish and Italian advice and admonitions at family gatherings. "Ah Mamma Mia," was one of her constants long before the show/movie made it famous.  She also called us her, "La famiglia famoso," which means literally famous family but I always interpreted as wonderful family!  Her toast at the beginning of every meal, yes even breakfast, was, "A la famiglia," or to the family.

Sigh, it must be day 28 if driving by signs spur a post.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. It's great how a shop can take you back to your aunt.

Cara Wegrzyn said...

This is a beautiful memory about your aunt. The line "she readily dispensed Spanish and Italian advice and admonitions at family gatherings." makes her sound like such a wise person. I had to laugh about Slicing about a sign...I'm kind of stuck today, too! Thanks for sharing!

vicki s said...

I love your post. It's those small things in life, such as a sign, that can trigger some truly great and wonderful memories.

Sharon said...

Your aunt would be happy to be remembered this way! My 2 year old granddaughter calls my sister, Lori, Auntie LaLa. I hope she continues even after she can say Lori.