Labels

Sunday, March 17, 2019

#sol19 March 17 A Wee Bit of the Green

My father and his siblings
Claimed among their ancestors
A horse thief and
Grandparents,
From County Cork.

In spite of an Irish surname,
My father and his siblings
Were just as much Welsh!
Claiming among their ancestors
A merchant marine lost at sea.
A seamstress to the wealthy.

In spite of an Irish surnames.
My siblings and I
Are equal parts 
Italian, German, Welsh
Claiming among our ancestors
A builder of the Erie Canal,
A salesclerk at Bloomingdales,
Teachers, farmers, welders,
Like so many Americans,
We're a patchwork quilt
Yet, today, 
Like so many Americans
I will wear 
That green sweater,
Grateful to be
A wee bit Irish.









12 comments:

Tbreit said...

Lovely!

LynnG said...

Love the list of occupations added to the heritage.

Readingteachsu said...

I love a repeating phrase, but what is most appeaing is the hint of other stories.

Jaana said...

Really fun. A wee bit of your history in a wee poem.

Chris Margocs said...

This poem is almost biblical in your recounting of your ancestors; what a fun way to celebrate the wearing o' the green today!

Lisa Keeler said...

I love your poem and the repeating line. And I love how you conclude.

Trina said...

This is a great poem! You are so right, as so many of us have a slice of Irish in us but will show up with green on today!

BK said...

Bravo for you and great family :)

Pat Holloway said...

Your poem is a nice way to celebrate Irish connections! I’d like to try similar thoughts.

Andy Starowicz said...

Beautiful poem! I loved the historical references (ancestry). Have a wonderful St. Patrick's Day!

Megan said...

What a fun way to commemorate the day and your heritage. Your use of repetition truly adds to your message! Makes me wish I had thought to write a poem! Thanks for the inspiration!

Teachers Today Students Forever said...

Love this! Your repetition is so strong here. I am a wee bit Irish too! Enjoy your day!