Labels

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

#sol19 March 13: Who are the people in your neighborhood?

Remember the Sesame Street song, Who Are the People in Your Neighborhood

I couldn't help myself from singing in my head as I watched the dog walkers with jacket clad apartment dwellers the other day. Each walker had 3-4 dogs and each block had 1-2 dog walkers!  Perhaps it was the time of the day, but I couldn't help but try to do the math in my head....but ended up needing to do some Google searching!

With a little Google search, I I found that in 2017, there were over 30,000 registered dogs in Manhattan. Then, I asked Google, "How many blocks in Manhattan? 262 blocks (with 4 sides to a block). If, what I was observing on my walk in the Upper East Side was generalized to just one half of Manhattan, than 500-1000 dogs were being walked at that mid day point by dog walkers! 

That is a lot of dog walkers! And I am pretty sure that dog walkers weren't an occupation when Sessame Street coined that song.

2 comments:

Ramona said...

Totally surprised that this post ended up being about our four legged friends (and their walkers) in the neighborhood.

Jaana said...

So much information on our fingertips! I wonder if there is a dog walkers union in Manhattan?