Labels

Monday, March 16, 2020

#sol20 March 16 Hope vs.Despair

My hair dresser called herself,
To apologize for cancelling,
"The studio has no choice," her voice quivered.
"I hope this will only be a couple of weeks," she sighed.

"I hope so, too," I said with confidence I really didn't have,
Knowing how much she depends on her profession,
Pretty sure her husband might already be on "break."
I hope they will not despair,
I hope they will be strong.

My local WMCA housing my gym, my pool,
Sent an email apologizing for cancelling.
"We have no choice," at this point.
"We hope this will be a brief closing."

"I hope so, too,"  I thought to myself
Knowing how much so many people depend on it
To keep their bodies and their minds moving.
Knowing how those swimmers, sports teams
Relish in daily practice to keep their hormones and energy
In check.
I hope they will not despair,
I hope they will be strong.

I hope these are signs
Of Hope.


5 comments:

Glenda Funk said...

I have been so worried about my stylist. She has been doing my hair since 1989. She’s the hardest working person I’ve ever known. She’s so important to me. I told my husband this morning how worried I am about the service industries, especially those who have no safety net. I hope this is over soon. *sigh* 😢

Carol said...

Today, Kelly Gallagher and Penny Kittle did a you tube video. Kelly talked about how he had not gone to get his hair cut, even though it was time for his regular appointment. He said he paid his stylist anyway, just because he was worried about her. I think I might do the same for mine. I'm worried about the parents at my school too-- we have so many hairdressers and restaurant workers, and cleaning ladies. I wonder how they will ever recover from this.

Whitney said...

I've been worried about my stylist too. She works incredibly hard, and I know she has no financial cushion. She also happens to be barely three months pregnant. I like the idea that Carol passed along about not getting a haircut but paying the stylist anyway. I will explore this for sure. My husband and I are both fortunate enough to be still paid while we are home, and while things will get tougher if these closures go on for months, there are so many people who must be in an utter panic because they cannot get paid, and cannot go look for other jobs either.

Natalie Dunne said...

This slice has many of the feelings I have been feeling. Just down. Low. Unsure. Such strange times :(

Ramona said...

Clinging to your signs of hope and looking for goodness as we walk this new path.