Labels

Thursday, March 12, 2020

#sol20 March 12 Personal Motto?

"Did you decide on a family motto for your accent wall?" she asked.

"Um..no," I said sheepishly, "but I have thought about it!"

It did seem like a nice way to personalize my new kitchen when the kitchen designer suggested the family motto on the accent wall long ago at the beginning of my renovation.  I live alone, so it's just about me!  How hard could it be to find a a quote that sums up what you feel about your life?  High school students do it for yearbooks!  I have lots of quotes and writing prompts in my notebook!  Yet, 8 months after she launched this idea, I still have not found a quote that speaks to who I am, today and everyday.  

Do I use a quote that refers to surviving family trauma? 
What about quote about becoming a strong woman?
Should I use a quote about learning? 
Do I use Eleanor Roosevelt, Anna Quindlin, Michelle Obama, my mom? 

I have a collection of quotes that seems to grow rather than shrink and I am beginning to think that what is easy to find at 18 and your adult life is just beginning is hard to find when you have many decades of life under your belt.  Or, perhaps, I just have not found the one for me. 

So, I'd be happy to consider quotes if you wish to share.  But, I'm also beginning to think a nice bulletin board might work there as well!  I'd have a place to hang pictures from the grandchildren and ever changing quotes that inspire me!  


3 comments:

TLC said...

Oh, I'm not sure I could pick one. I have a felt letter board in my kitchen and we try to change the quote weekly.Everyone takes a turn!

Ramona said...

It would be far too hard to choose one quote. I like the bulletin board idea - pics of grand kids and revolving inspirational quotes.

Glenda Funk said...

This is hard. I remember this inspiration quote trend back in the 80s, and these days we have the “family is everything” placards going on in our community. That one is grounded in a particular religion. Have you considered a series of words, such as you OLWs over the years. If I has to pick a quote I’d look for something literary and political but not well known. I like uniqueness and worry about quotes that become cliches.