Labels

Sunday, March 8, 2020

#SOL20 March 8 The Last Night

It was a Friday night in late June and I was the kind of tired that teachers know as "End-o-year-counting-the-days-exhausted." 

I had at least 20 report cards to finish and an inbox filled with grad school student papers.

My elderly mother had been upset because her anniversary was on the horizon and she wanted to visit the cemetery and she wanted to go out the that restaurant near the cemetery; yet, I had to work on that last for her (in retrospect) anniversary as it was also the last day of school.

"Let's try that Chinese place one last time," he said in a text that was prophetic, yet not unreasonable as the previous take out had been sub par.

We settled onto the porch on that warm June night, just like we normally did. 
Shrimp fried rice and chicken with broccoli in plastic bins with take out chop sticks,
He opened the wine and we began small talk about our day.

In retrospect, tired was not my biggest problem that June day.
In retrospect, it was the last Chinese food I ate.
In retrospect, those report cards and papers did not matter all that much.
In retrospect, I probably carried the conversation as he was quiet.
In retrospect, my mom's problem was not one to worry about.
In retrospect, he probably didn't eat much.
In retrospect, it was suddenly chilly.
In retrospect, it was the last time we sat on the porch.
In retrospect, I can't believe I didn't see "it" coming.
In retrospect, it was the last dinner.
In retrospect, life as I knew it changed in an instant.
In retrospect, it was the last night.

'm participating in the SOL March Writing Challenge.
This is a sad slice of my life!

7 comments:

Fran said...

I hope you are glad you set this reflection down. It was powerful. Starting off with all the daily cares and concerns, only later to realize something bigger was going on. I hope you’re glad you made the time to be there eating together that evening. I hope you don’t feel any guilt about not realizing something. Your list-like format is effective at showing the many thoughts that came to you afterwards.

Lisa Corbett said...

We just never know what is around the corner for us! People say we should enjoy every moment with this in mind. But it is impossible to enjoy EVERY moment, especially when we are "end of the year teacher tired". Thanks so much for sharing this! It's a reminder that life is life and it isn't always beautiful, though mostly it is.

Heidi said...

Oh my gosh what a powerful piece of writing. Thank you for sharing.

Meg Looney said...

Thank you for sharing this powerful piece. It's true and honest. It's strong. It's sad and somber. Hoping writing it and sharing it with us brought you peace. Sending you much love today.

Diane Anderson said...

Thank you for sharing. I understand so well.
https://wp.me/p2fY1t-1fn

eddie said...

Wow. Utterly beautiful. There are of course so many reasons why it took so long to get that one. One of which is that what you so elegantly described is almost indescribable with words. I hope it gave you even just a little bit of something as I know it really hit probably every reader with some very tangible impact. Very good writing.

TLC said...

You were meant to be there that evening. Sad but beautiful slice.