Labels

Monday, March 30, 2020

#sol20 Day 30 A Long Hot Shower



I took a long, hot shower. The kind of shower when you stand there solving your own problems and the problems of the world until your skin has turned red and your fingers have pruned. 

The kind of shower where you wash your hair an extra time because it had been so long since you washed it the first time, you forgot, until it was too late, that you had already shampooed. 

The kind of shower I took, long ago, when I was mad at the unfair world and my father would end up banging on the door about wasting water.

In that long, hot shower, I shed a few tears, shared a few prayers, and shoved a few concerns down the drain.  I relived some recent events, redirected some concerns, and released some stress. I prayed for relatives, friends, and my students. I asked for strength for those providing essential services, endurance for medical personnel trying to save the ill, and patience for the rest of us.

I was extra clean, extremely clear of thought, and exhausted afterwards, even if I id not solve the problems of the world.  But, perhaps I will try it again as I slept better than any baby ever slept!


3 comments:

Stacey Shubitz said...

Shoving concerns down the drain is a great way to describe one of the reasons we take those elongated showers.
I hope the day will soon come that we will need less second washings since we will have os much to do again.

Heidi's Musings said...

What a great description of a much-needed too long shower! I have been there many a day lately, searching for answers, for writing topics, for strength. Your post captures it all. Be well - in and out of the shower.

Morgan said...

I enjoyed the imagery in this slice so much and the repetition of the re- words (recent to released and even relatives) caught my eye. I wonder if you did this on purpose. My favorite, though, is the simultaneous mindfulness in reliving moments and saying prayers and mindlessness in shampooing twice. Thanks for sharing.