Labels

Friday, March 26, 2021

#sol21 March 26 Where do you find books?

 

This month, I'm writing
Thanks to the TWT Challenge 

In the evening, I make a bit pot of (caffeinated) tea, start up the Zoom, and welcome grad students to share strategies for supporting struggling readers and writers.  I stay logged in after class to answer a myriad of questions about students and managing teaching/learning in these challenging times.  Sometimes, they just want to share a mute-unmute story and sometimes they have stories  and questions that break my heart. Sometimes, all I can do is to listen and encourage.

"I want to get all those mentor texts you show and I want to put books in the hands of all my students like you suggest.  But, where do I find all those high interest, just right and engaging books," she asked. 

It was late, after 10, as I looked around my house, filled with books for grandchildren and began talking about book resources to a newbie teacher in a high needs, city school district. 

Meanwhile, I thought about:
  • All those books I have purchased over the years..
  • All those freebies from conferences..,
  • All those yard sales over the years...
  • All those family and friends who donated books...
  • All those Scholastic book sales....
  • All those bookstores,,,,
  • All those Amazon orders...
  • All those former students and families who shared outgrown books...
  • All those books I made because I did not have the right book..
  • All those books sitting in the back of classrooms, forgotten..
  • All those books sitting unused in crowded bookrooms and storage rooms..
  • All those books books sitting unused right now but saved by teachers, just in case their grade changed...
  • All those teachers, like my friend, who shared her collection (after retirement).  Some are in my living room, but most were passed to newbie teachers and their students. 
  • All those underused books lying around....just waiting....
  • All those teachers wanting/needing books and how to create a distribution system....
  • All those underused books resources needed a distribution plan.....books belong with readers!  

4 comments:

Lisa Vahey said...

Please let us know if you come up with an idea - I too have too many books with me, when I know they need a new home, closer to readers. Years of collecting have paid off, but it's time to push them back in to the world!

Glenda Funk said...

Your student asked the million dollar question. New teachers don’t typically have the resources they need to purchase books. I think Penny Kittle’s Book Love foundation helps meet the needs of many, but the need is great. When I retired I invited students and colleagues to snag my books. I didn’t want them sitting around. I recently gave a former colleague (my department head) many of my professional books to share w/ new teachers in the department. Books want to be read, so I pass most on to other readers.

Stacey said...

Your post just reminded me that I have boxes of books in my garage that I need to bring to the public library and to a local school!

I think teachers need to get accustomed to the idea of spending time perusing shelves in the library and in the local bookstore. That's always how I came across my most beloved mentor texts.

sspelic said...

Yes! This is a great thought and certainly much could be done if the right networks are activated and plans put in motion. I wonder if school librarian networks might have ideas or programs in this direction.