Labels

Friday, March 11, 2022

#sol22 March 11 Maybe They Were a Little Tricky

 

It was snowing, again, big, sloppy flakes, and they were expected to continue when I googled "windshield wiper sales."  My wipers had been having senior moments for a while as they separated into spaghetti-like bands after several years of faithful service. 

Then, before I set off on my mission, I googled "you tube and replacing wiper blades." I watched several videos of people bravely replacing senior blades with newbies by flipping a couple of switches.  I was cautiously confident that I could do this; however, I bookmarked my favorite video to guide me.

Worst case scenarios swirled in my mind as I drove to Advance Auto Parts. I could have a wiper fly off as I went over the bridge.  I could have no wipers!

As I paid for the newbies, I could hear my heart beating. I hoped the plexiglass divider kept my panic private. Then, instead of handing me the newbies, he put on his jacket, still holding the blades, and asked if he could help me install them because, "they were a little tricky.

The feminist inside me wanted to scream, "I can do it myself," but the realist in my was persuaded by those words he didn't have to utter. "Thank you," I said sincerely as he showed me that maybe a little tricky switch. 

While I might have been able to do the job given extended time, directions repeated, and  directions clarified; he did the job as if he did it every day!  

4 comments:

Lakshmi M Bhat said...

Good you he fixed it for you. As it is we have so much to do, why take on extra work? :)

arjeha said...

My motto is "Why do for yourself when someone is willing to do for you." I have changed wiper blades years ago. With the car I had it was just a matter of sliding the old one off and sliding the new one on. Now, if the blades need to be replaced I have it done when I take the car in to be serviced.

Trina Bartel said...

I did the exact same thing earlier this year! It was worth the headache in trying to figure it out myself, even if I know that I could do it! I agree with arjeha's motto for sure!

Heidi Allum said...

I like the resolve and determined feeling of this post, and all of the thoughts you are going through while you decide your procedure. Glad you received and took help -- may watching the other person do it will give you confidence next time.