Labels

Wednesday, March 9, 2022

SOL22 March 9 To My Future Self

 Dear Future Self,

I know you think sharing a bed with your sister is the worst thing that could happen to you, but it isn't. You will someday have your own bed and even a house, just for you.  You will look back an remember the endless giggles under the covers and the imaginary line down the middle. You will realize your parents slept on the couch while you slept in their bed.

I know you think moving Alabama is the worst thing that could happen to you. The accents will be hard at first, but you will make life-long friends and do well in middle school. Someday, you are going to be watching a movie about Martin Luther King and remember the Edmund Pettus bridge in the center of town.

I know you think you are "overweight" and "not in shape."  You are a busy, young mother and teacher.  You have laundry, dishes and lesson plans calling louder than the need to go for a run. Someday, you are going to look back at your wrinkle free skin and taught muscles and long for the shape you were in. 

I know you were thinking retirement would mean a place at the beach and lots of time to quilt. You didn't know there was a pandemic around the corner and supporting struggling readers and their teachers would grow into a full time job. You didn't know about that gaggle of grandchildren who would call you Meme. You didn't think you would still have so much to say that you would still have this blog!

Sincerely,

Me

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your thoughtful slice. It's so good to reflect on your words today. I am somewhere in the middle of your journey -- but your bit about loving the skin your in part was a connection for me. Time goes so fast. Be as healthy as possible, look up soak it in and enjoy the ride. Happy Slicing!

eddie said...

What a beautiful way to look at such touching memories. What a cool way to practice positive self-talk. I am stealing this idea. Probably not for a slice, but for my own reflective purposes. Thank you for sharing!

Leigh Anne Eck said...

OH, that first paragraph reminded me of my sister and me. We shared a room most of our lives. Although we hated it then, I wouldn't have traded it for anything now. I worry about not having stories to write about! This was a fun form!

Denise Krebs said...

Dr. Ferreri,
What a sweet slice, and such a great way to get to know some of the chapters of your life. Wow. You show how fast time goes here. Tonight I had dinner with my sister and some others. I used to share a bed with her and complained the whole time. Now, I get to live next door to her and appreciate her more each time I get to spend time with her. Thanks for this nice letter to yourself.