Labels

Wednesday, March 23, 2022

#sol22 March 23 I love them so much

 

During her confirmation hearing, Ketanji Brown Jackson said to her children, "It has not been easy as I have tried to navigate the challenges of juggling my career and motherhood, and I fully admit that I did not always get the balance right..... I love you so much.”

I know most of us could share her thoughts.

I heard the quote wrapped in my bathrobe, in a now quiet house where I live alone, where memories of late night laundry and lunches amidst misplaced papers and lost permission slips came flooding back. I have thought this many times, even now, in my "retirement career."  I try to remember that life is a balancing act, sometimes there are a lot of plates in the air. 

I hope my own children (and grandchildren) know that I love them so much. 



7 comments:

arjeha said...

All we can do is our best and hope that others see that we are human and not perfect.

Rita K. said...

This simple slice says so much. Even in retirement, I still juggle a lot of balls and find balancing them difficult. Thanks for sharing this important quote. I didn't have a chance to listen to much of the hearings yesterday.

Clare Landrigan said...

Just went back and watched it - thank you. With both of mine now in college, I often reflect on this as well. All we can do is keep moving forward the best we can ... improving every day.

sspelic said...

I appreciate the way you bring us from the image of the confirmation hearings to your own context in a very personal way. You build a perfect bridge for readers to make their own connections to Judge Jackson's statement.

Ramona said...

What a thoughtful post! I was listening when she referenced the balancing act. We do the best we can at the time and move on, trying to do better when we can.

Shawndastories said...

I love her quote because it is so true as a working mom, doing our best and hoping our kids know how much we love them. I really feel this right now as a teacher with three elementary kids of my own. This is a very relatable slice!

Carol said...

This post brings tears to my eyes. As did the comments during the hearings!