Labels

Monday, March 7, 2022

#sol22 March 7 My New Literacy Journey


 "Look at  at my new Pokeman cards," he said with the enthusiasm he used to have (just months ago) for mini cars and trucks that fit into his hands. 

"Can you tell me who this one is," I asked him in a way I had responded to countless children, fingering through their Pokeman-card books, waiting for school to start. Over the years of morning duty, I did learn a few characters but I never really needed to become literate in Pokeman.

But this time, it was not in a noisy hallway where I was on crowd control. This time, I was at his kitchen table.  "It's Mewtwo," he answered confidently and proceeded to share his brand new collection of just a few cards. 

I knew, from hallway experience, the collection would grow exponentially. This time, I figured I should become literate in Pokeman. This time , I found out there are 150 characters in this imaginary space. Some of them look a bit like their name, like Butterfree below.  I'll start with them!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, the Pokemon world is vast and engaging. It is good to get to know them if you wish to speak the same language with children, especially the ones who are close to you. The variety of characters is a good example of creativity.