Labels

Friday, March 4, 2022

#sol22 March 4 A Real Ghost Town

 



When your students (or your children)
 find something they are passionate about, 
it's always amazing.  
When they more to a ghost town
At the start of a pandemic,
It's beyond scary and amazing
At the same time.

Brett, the son of my college roommate, moved to Cerro Gordo, an abandoned Ghost Town as the pandemic upended our world.  I've followed his adventures, thanks to his proud mom's posts and because I see his adventure as amazing and inspirational!  I've watched his You tube videos in awe of his passion and resourcefulness (although to be honest, I cannot watch him go down into that old abandoned silver mine - way too scary).  

I've used snippets of his You tube videos as mentor moments in writing workshop demonstrations for students and teachers.  They become distraught when I stop the videos...every single time. 

I've long thought that his story would be an amazing book. I can imagine 8-10 year-old hunkered over a chapter of Ghost Town Man  (my imaginary title) and becoming passionate about saving history.  I've already mapped out the chapters, which would include, Heading Into the Unknown,  Ghosts of The Mine, and Spaces Where Amazon Will Not Go. I would love to show how Brett found the strength to forge ahead with his project as the world halted around him.  I would love to show how in time he found balance amidst loneliness and adventure in life.  

I'm not the only one inspired by his story. Brett has been featured in magazines and news shows and most recently Popular Mechanics. Yet, the best source of inspiration comes from his You tube channels.  

Check it out. In my mind, he is already a pioneer and explorer of the American frontier like Daniel Boone, Kit Carlson or perhaps, Davy Crockett!













No comments: