Labels

Saturday, March 3, 2018

#sol18 March 3 A Wild, Wet Day

As I put out the trash, the sleet punished me for thinking I could go outside on such a morning.
The sleet turned to a drenching rain when I stopped for coffee a few minutes later.
It was ice pellets as we stood outside greeting parents and students in the early morning.

I heard the windows rattle as I read with third graders.
I saw a thick snow shower in the late morning as I returned second graders to class.
Picking up first graders, I realized the ground was covered with snow.
As I read with kindergarten students, I realized there were pellets of ice hitting the windows.
At dismissal, there were branches and even trees falling putting students, drivers and houses at risk!

As I headed home, there were multiple tractor trailers on their sides on the big new bridge.
As I headed to the old reliable bridge in the big city, the roads were flooding.
There were branches, trees and warning lights littering my path.

Eventually, after a long, wild and wet day, I was back in my driveway staring at the battered and bruised trash can I left hours ago. I was one of the lucky ones on this wild, wet day.





  

4 comments:

momteacherandwife said...

I love how you tied it all back to the trash can! I can only imagine what the trash can experienced during the day because I could hear and see the weather you described.

Carol said...

This sounds like a really wild day, weather wise. Like the previous poster, I loved how you used the trash can as your starting and ending point for the story. I also loved how you moved through time with your different reading groups. Glad you got home safely!

BK said...

Home sweet home... BRAVO!!!!!
Is it Spring yet?
Bonnie K.

Judy said...

Anita, your slice makes me even more thankful that I live in Arkansas and only have to put up with sort of weather once or twice a winter. Hang in there, spring is just around the corner. Thank goodness you made it home safely.