Labels

Friday, March 24, 2023

#sol23 March 24 The Day the Fawn Settled in My Fairy Garden

I had a totally different post planned for today's 
Two Writing Teacher's SOL Challenge.
Instead, I waited all day to share this real life
Slice of my Real Life...
I hope I can sleep, but I doubt it!

I took the recycling out as the sun was getting ready to rise to the horizon. I noticed the forsythia had started to bloom creating a wonderful yellow wall of wonder.  I noticed a few more daffodils had emerged in full glory.  All this made me smile.

THEN, I noticed the doe with her clearly newborn fawn nestled in my backyard in the area my grandchildren refer to as the Fairy Garden.  I tried to shoo them away to no avail.  Mother got up and walked away but came right back to her baby.  I tried to shoo them away, again, as I headed to the gym. Mother left for what I assumed was a few minutes.  I did not want them eating the daffodils that would be emerging soon. I did not want them to eat the buds that would soon be emerging!  But, realistically, they would most likely take up residence while I exercised,

I thought about this mother and child as I drove to the gym.  I thought about them as I sweated through Aqua-size (yes you can sweat in the water) and strength classes.  I thought about the fragility of their lives so close to the highway.  I thought about the challenge of their homelessness.  I wondered how this mother was providing for her clearly newborn fawn. I thought about that long ago traumatic to me movie, Bambi. I wondered about my own, clearly selfish desire, to force them to move on.  I wondered if they would still be there when I got home.  

The mom was not.  But, the fawn was still laying in the garden. I wondered if the mom had gone for food remembering the appetite of a nursing mom.  I wondered it the mom had wandered onto the highway not far away. 

Now, many many hours later, the fawn is still there and the mom is not. I am not sure I will be able to sleep.


2 comments:

Red Emma said...

oh, dear. I can see why this slice forced itself on you. What will you do if the mother deer isn't back in the morning? Is there a sanctuary farm near you? Please let us know tomorrow what's happened.

Ramona said...

Crossing my fingers that mom will be there in the morning. No wonder you had to share this real life slice. I used to shoo the deer away at my previous home b/c they ate my flowers. I haven't seen any at our new place.