Labels

Monday, March 13, 2023

#sol23 March 13 is One of Those Days

March 13th is one of those days, like 9-11, that mark life altering events in our lives. I had planned to be home to have stucco repair on my house. It was supposed to be unseasonably warm and I looked forward to some pruning and spring cleaning.

My house was quiet as my daughter in law and grandchildren had just returned home from a week long sleepover during floor refinishing at their house In a weird coincidence, other grandchildren's day care was closed due to staff illnesses.  I was excited to spend a day with them to bake Irish Soda Bread and make shamrocks.

Yet, I was feeling unsettled after a trip to IKEA where the store was empty and people were wearing masks. I was feeling uneasy after a weekend brunch where an Asian flu was a focus of discussion.  I resisted the urge to buy groceries as one might with a storm headed confident, that whatever was looming would be short and managed easily.  

That uneasy feeling intensified as the day came to a close and  discussion of working from home began. In the blink of an eye, schools and businesses closed while Zoom and Shipt became the focus of life. Daily drive-bys from UPS, Fed-Ex, USPS, and Peloton trucks marked the days after March 13th,  the last semi-normal day for a very long time. 

I have often wondered what I would have done that last day if I had known what lie ahead? 

2 comments:

amyilene https://amyilene.home.blog/ said...

You pose an interesting question...what would I do differently knowing what I know now?

Lee Ann Spillane said...

I liked the slow-motion, ominous build up in your reflection.