Labels

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

#sol23 March 8 Aunt, Auntie

 

Cooked up by Brosch wrote about our roles in life and the POWER of and Aunt yesterday.  Her post sent me down a path of memories and reminded me of the power of that role.

When I married their Uncle, I became an instant Auntie to a gaggle of young nieces and nephews who accepted me reluctantly. I understood their hesitancy: I was an intruder.  Over time, I built relationships with each of them as an Auntie who listened, who cared, who loved, and who would bring lots and lots of "goodies" for holidays and camping trips! I am blessed to have had them in my life and I relish their journeys and their accomplishments.  

Not too long after I had forged those early fledgling relationships, I became an Aunt again when my sister delivered the first grandchild to my overjoyed parents.  I met that babe when she was a newborn on a Sunday morning in early March.  She was tiny and snuggly and one of the first newborns I ever held. Along with the brother and sisters who followed, I am blessed to have had them in my life and relish their journeys and their accomplishments.

For me, and for many other lucky families, there are also Aunties who build relationships and serve as role models and inspirations. I actually had an Auntie who shared my name and birthdate! 

An Aunt or an Auntie is blessed by that love that transcends nuclear families.

3 comments:

Fran said...

Yes, Aunts are critical. There are never enough helping adults in a child's life and it doesn't matter how the relationship begins. Instead, it truly is the relationship!

Ramona said...

My best friend became an "aunt" to my children. They will always cherish her influence in their lives. Aunts don't have to be genetic connections.

Denise Krebs said...

Anita, what a sweet post. I love how you joined the family and won over the nephews and nieces of your husband. Being an aunt is one of my favorite roles. It started when I was 7 years old. Now most of my nephews and nieces are in their 40-50s, and I don't get to see them as often. However, they are always close because we have so many memories together. One of my nephews sent photos today of their snowed in house in the mountains, and one with them in the hot tub.