Labels

Thursday, March 30, 2023

#sol30 March 30 When Dreams Go

 

Greek salad sprinkled with Feta,
A delicious treat, lunch with leftovers.
It's been a long time
Yet, the oily, lemony taste was familiar
Those grape leaves memorable.

Conversation sprinkled with sadness,
A chance to catch up with life.
It's been a long time
Yet, the tone, tenor were familiar
Even if strained. 

Long drive with time to reflect,
Of days, weeks, years, lost time
A chance to think of dreams lost
Of lives altered,
Even if caring remains.

"Hold fast to your dreams,"
I wanted to scream to the passing car
As my leftover Greek salad 
Slid to the floor.

 Langston Hughes
Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.
Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go,
Life is a barren field.









3 comments:

Unknown said...

OH NO I had a pumpkin pie from Costco that met its fate when someone cut me off. I hope your salad was well contained in the to-go container!

Alice G said...

I enjoyed the flow of this poem, especially the lines "a chance to think of dreams lost/of lives altered, even if caring remains" and then came the car and the salad on the floor. Bummer. The car interrupting your thoughts and causing an abrupt maneuver are well expressed here.

Fran said...

I didn’t think it would only be about salad! I find it very original as you experience those flavors you recognize from a long time ago, as you revisit a relationship from long ago. Somehow lemon is the perfect flavor to spark a connection.
I love your irreverent ending! Didn’t know whether to laugh or be serious as the salad was flung to the floor; I guess both.
(I think you lost the last line from Langston Hughes: frozen over with snow.)